Start of School Information
First Class Meeting
After auditions (see "Join"), our first rehearsal will be Tuesday, September 27. At our first rehearsal, we will:
- Go over the Syllabus
- Pass out music and folders
- Sight read and rehearse a portion of our repertoire
- Introduce Symphony Officers
- Get to know other members of the group
- Answer any logistical questions you might have
Adding the Class
If you are accepted into the ensemble, you should add MU 174-70 (1st and 2nd year students) or MU 374-70 (3rd year and above students). You may take each of these classes 6 times, which corresponds to 4 years signing up each quarter.
If you need a permission number to add the class, please email me. For detailed instructions on how to add a class with a permission number, please see the video listed on the Registrar's Registration Demos page.
If your official schedule contains a partial conflict with our rehearsal time (even if you don’t have to go to the other class), you need to fill out a “Time Conflict Request,” available from the Office of the Registrar. Permission numbers do not work in that case; the form adds the class for you.
If you are accepted into the ensemble, you should make sure you have the right materials! All members are required to bring the following to every rehearsal:
- An instrument with all of the necessary accessories (strings, rosin, mute, reeds, swabs, cork grease, valve oil, etc.). If you do not have your own instrument, please contact the conductor to request a school instrument.
- A pencil
- Your music
Symphony members are also required to wear appropriate concert dress: all black, covering knees and shoulders. Examples include a black dress, a black suit (black jacket and black shirt), black top and black skirt, black shirt and pants, etc.
Music Use Fee
A “Music Use Fee” of $20/quarter (or $60/year) enables you to:
- Use a locker in the music building (available after auditions are done)
- Use the practice rooms in the music building, with the ability to reserve a specific time (they will lock after auditions)
- Check out Music Department instruments for use in the Symphony (with my permission)
If you don’t need any of these things, you do not need to pay the fee. If you do need any of the above, however, please do the following:
- Go to your Cal Poly Portal.
- Select the "Money Matters" tab.
- Click on the "Make a Payment Now" button and go to “Music Fees.”
- Follow directions to make a payment.
- A receipt will be emailed to you. Please forward that receipt to email@example.com
- To request a locker, fill out this Locker Request Form.
- For practice rooms, see the music office (45-129). For a school instrument, please contact the conductor.
Students who have paid the Music Use Fee may check out a department instrument for use in Symphony. Once the fee has been paid, please see me.
Music Department Office
We have two very knowledgeable and capable people who work in our Music Department Office (45-129). Both can answer logistical questions about lockers, practice rooms, adding a music minor, music classes and their prerequisites, etc., etc. If you plan on staying active musically while at Cal Poly, go ahead and introduce yourself!
The department office provides access to its non-circulating CD collection and recordings of all Cal Poly concerts, including ours. Physical CDs are in file cabinets inside the Department Office. Access to the department server, which includes these same recordings as well as Cal Poly concert recordings, is via iTunes on the Department Office's listening lab computers.