Start of School Information
First Class Meeting
After auditions (see "Join"), our first rehearsal will be Thursday, September 27, 4:40 - 6:30, in room 216 of the Music Building (45). At our first rehearsal, we will:
- Go over the Syllabus
- Pass out music and folders
- Sight read and rehearse a portion of our repertoire
- Introduce Symphony Officers
- Get to know other members of the group
- Answer any logistical questions you might have
Adding the Class
If you are accepted into the ensemble and need to add MU 174-01 (1st and 2nd year students) or MU 374-01 (3rd year and above students), please email me, specifying the class you need to add. I will email you a permission number. For detailed instructions on how to add a class with a permission number, please see the video listed on the Registrar's Registration Demos page.
If your official schedule contains a partial conflict with our rehearsal time (even if you don’t have to go to the other class), you need to fill out a “Time Conflict Request,” available in our department office (45-129). Permission numbers do not work in that case; the form adds the class for you.
Music Use Fee
A “Music Use Fee” of $10/quarter (or $30/year) enables you to:
- Use a locker in the music building
- Reserve a specific practice room at a specific time
- Check out Music Department instruments for use in the Symphony (with my permission)
If you don’t need any of these things, you do not need to pay the fee. If you do need any of the above, however, please do one of the following:
- Go to the Cashier’s Office in the Administration Building (01) between 9:00 am and 4:00 pm. Ask to pay the “Music Use Fee.” After doing so, please keep your receipt; you will need to show this receipt to the Music Department Office when requesting a locker, reserving a practice room, or checking out a school instrument.
- Go to your Cal Poly Portal. Select the "Money Matters" tab. Click on the "Make a Payment Now" button and go to “Music Fees.” A receipt will be emailed to you; please forward this to firstname.lastname@example.org so they can see it when you are requesting a locker, reserving a practice room, or checking out a school instrument.
Students officially accepted into an ensemble who have paid the Music Use Fee can check out a locker from the music office (45-129). Locker check-out times are listed on the Music Department's Ensembles Page.
Bring your Music Use Fee receipt (see above), and know the dimensions of your case if it is non-standard. Because members of all ensembles will be trying to get lockers at the same time, it would be wise to come as early as you can.
When the term of your Use Fee is over, please return your locker key to the Music Department Office. Failure to return a locker key by the contract due date will result in a monetary hold being placed on your record.
Music Department practice rooms are open to you on a first-come, first-serve basis. However, students who have paid the Music Use Fee may reserve specific times in these rooms. Please see the Music Department Office (45-129) for instructions on how to do this.
Music Department Office
Speaking of the Music Department Office... We have two very knowledgeable and capable people who work in our office: Michele Abba (the first one inside the door) and Druci Reese (further in). Both can answer logistical questions about lockers, practice rooms, adding a music minor, music classes and their prerequisites, etc., etc. If you plan on staying active musically while at Cal Poly, go ahead and introduce yourself!
You can listen to professional recordings of our current repertoire via our Resource Links page. The department also provides access to its non-circulating CD collection and recordings of all Cal Poly concerts, including ours. Physical CDs are in file cabinets inside the Department Office. Access to the department server, which includes these same recordings as well as Cal Poly concert recordings, is via iTunes on the Department Office's listening lab computers.